Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Today's Thought: Give and Take

Hi,

You are wondering why I am bothering you with my thoughts everyday. My Life goal is to impact my world and one of the ways I have chosen to do that is to share my thoughts with you. I tell people that I am a very young person but I have learnt quite a lot which has really helped me. I also see myself learning more from people when I can help them trigger their own thoughts too. So lets enjoy the process together. To all those that took their time to read my ramblings yesterday, I say a big thank you.

On my way to work today, I was offered a free ride by my landlord right from my house to my office. It was a pleasurable ride. While in the car, I looked at what I stand to enjoy by this free ride and what I stand to loose. Its brings to light clearly that there is no free lunch anywhere. It's a life of give and take. Let me explain further by painting the two scenarios.

The Good
1. It is stressless. I was picked practically from my doorstep to my office.
2. It is free. was able to save #300 in the process.
3. It is very comfortable

The Bad
1. I wasnt too free like I would have been in the BRT bus.
2. I could not read my book.
3. Maybe I would have me a new friend or an old friend on the bus.

This is my point.

1. Life is about give and take. For every time people offer to give you something, you dont just collect, there is a part of you that is giving too.

2. Be very conscious of every offer that comes to you because they all come with their strings. Many people could not leave their present place of work today because they have received so much favour to keep tying them down. A friend left a company after 3 years and was still referred to as an ingrate. The boss told him,"after all that I have done to you".

3. Weigh the options. Sometimes the cost to be saved is not worth the cost of your freedom. Try to think ahead of time. My boss would always advice to look at every option in the passage of time.Not all that glitters is gold.

4. Most people give to you because they want something in return. Only few give without expecting returns. When you are the one giving, please understand fully why you are giving and if possible do not expect anything in return. I learnt that lesson recently when I thought people I have stood for in their own time will also stand for me. Most times, it does not work like that.

5. See these quotes

“Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites.” - William Ruckelshaus

“A free lunch is only found in mousetraps.”- John Capozzi

“Life is a gift. Never take it for granted.”- Sasha Azevedo

Let me stop here for today. Below is a quote that relates my today's thought with that of yesterday (Titled - Today's thought - make someone happy). Always keep this quote in mind.

“I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” Etienne De Grellet

Thanks once again for your time.

Your Friend and Brother

Albert Afolabi
"Born to Impact, Never to Impress"
www.daalberto.blogspot.com

No comments: