Friday, October 30, 2009

My Thought Today: Just Do It

Hi All,

So great to be talking to you again. My initial thought today was to share some quotes I got from Zig Ziglar's book (Breaking through to the next level) with you. My desire is just to share the principle I have been holding onto for a while with respect to my work life. Principles don't change and they are very effective. I will still share the principles just that an issue came up and I would love to share it with you.

I met a wonderful colleague on the way and she looks kind of concerned. She saw a lady with her 10-12 year old boy on the way coming to the office. They were both naked and they don't look mad. She felt so much concerned for them and she took to action immediately. She called many of her friends who ran different NGO' s or work in some radio stations to see if any could help to cloth the woman and her kid or sort whatever issue they may be having. I felt for them and just like many other people, just prayed that God would send help their way.

After settling in to start my day's business, I met my colleague with another colleague going to look for the woman. I was touched.She was just not ready to get help for this people, she was willing to go any length to make sure they get it. I learnt another lesson in life. Yesterday I wrote about many of us still in the planning phase of our lives and all we ever do is to plan. I challenged us to just do whatever it is God has laid on our mind. I could see the resolve to help this people and I gave up all my activities to go with them.

We first drove to Tinubu Square to buy a pair of new clothes for the mother and child. We then drove to Anthony side of Ilupeju to look for them. When we got there, we could not find the woman and her kid. We asked around and someone told us they had gone through town planning.We quickly walked down to learn they had moved on. We asked the bike men who told us they had moved on towards Oshodi. We had to go pick our car and drove towards PZ. Still we did not see her. We met a friend who told us that since Fountain of life church is around that area, its possible that they have been taken there.

We drove into Fountain of life and inquired about them from the security. A security guy said he saw them and they should be around the PZ office. He took us there and asked a guy who pointed the woman and her kid to us. They were both looking calm and well dressed. We were still wondering what could have happened. We asked from one of the guy there and he identified himself as the in law to the woman.We spoke to the woman to know what happen. She only said she knows what happen but God has saved her because she is God's battle axe.

We were so happy to see her and now well clothed. W explained our journey to the guys around and dropped the clothes we brought for them. What a way to start a lovely day with a lovely experience. I have learnt from this experience that not every body you see on the road is mad or has an issue. Just do it, help the ones you can help. If you don't do it, maybe no one else would do it.

I imagine how my friend would feel now. She was just not able to do anything in the office till she got help for this people. I am challenged by her large heart and am grateful to God for her kind of person. Am also challenged by my other friend and colleague who also dropped his work and drove us there. It brings to mind the new slogan used in rebranding Nigeria'; Nigeria, Good People Great Nation.

My challenge for you today is that for so long you have seen so many things wrong with out nation or society. Hold your peace till you have at least provided a solution to one of them. Stop planning to do it, Just do it.

Let me close with my famous quote from Etienne De Grellet

" I expect to pass this way but once, any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or Neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

Your Friend and Brother
Albert Afolabi
"Born to Impact, Never to Impress"
www.daalberto.blogspot.com

No comments: