Friday, November 13, 2009

My Thought Today: Take a Stand, Make a Difference

Hi,


I would always remember an analogy a friend used in a discussion in our hostel room in Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. A guy who obviously stayed in that room the last semester wrote on the wall, something like - James Peter stayed here, 1998-1999. Truth is that we don't know who James Peter (fictitious name) is but we met his name on the wall of our room. For a person like myself that tries to think deeply, this generated loads of question in my mind. While discussing with my friend, he gave me this analogy. For every bed space in that room, different people have stayed there. Some of them are well known and most of them are forgotten. Which category which you choose to be?

For every nation, millions of people die without a story or an accomplishment to their credit. I have learnt in life that some people would come and carve their names on the sands of history while most would not. It is a decision one has to make in his/her lifetime. As for me, I choose not to be ignored. I chose to live a meaningful life that will be talked about years after my demise. I choose to take my stand in d annals of history and make a difference. I choose not to be so traditional or fixed to an idea that is not productive. I choose to live my live as a role model for others.

My challenge to us all to get our name so meaningful to friends and family is to TAKE A STAND so as to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

The question in most people's mind is why should they take their stand or of what significance is their contribution? Some even see more of the problem and had never seen themselves trying to solve it. These statements are my answers to their questions.

1. Salt does not have to be the same quality as any soup or food before it makes a difference.
No matter your level, size, status, age, religion or tradition, YOU alone can make a huge difference. Just take your stand.

2. No matter how big the fire is, it starts with a little spark.
Yes, a little spark. I wish we would just go ahead doing good no matter how little we see them to be. When we take time to look back, we would see what awesome thing we have done. Always remember, just a little spark.

3. No matter how long the night may be, the dawn cometh soon.
When dawn comes, its signifies joy. You might have been having this experience of a long night. It seems your night time is never ending. You know what, hold on because its almost dawn. You have been taking your stand and it seems no progress, just keep at it because our time of celebration is here.

Lets spread this gospel. Lets challenge ourselves to TAKE A STAND. Only when we take our stand, then we can MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Your Friend and Brother,
Albert Afolabi
"Born to Impact, Never to Impress"
www.daalberto.blogspot.com

No comments: